If your friends want to go out for Italian food, there is no reason you should skip out just because you are on a low carbohydrate diet. Italians love keeping it basic with lots of vegetables and fresh meats. Here are a few items you could order the next time that you are out with your friends that are not only tasty, but will allow you to stick to your low carbohydrates as well.
- Italian Tossed Salad: This salad is generally made with iceberg lettuce, arugula, red onions, pepperoncini, kalamata olives, and croutons. It is topped with an Italian vinaigrette dressing. See if they can hold the croutons for a truly low-carb salad.
- Spinach Salad: Most Italian spinach salads also include red onions, blue cheese, pine nuts and fruit. It is topped with a white balsamic vinaigrette.
- Grilled Salmon Salad: This salad combines fresh vegetables such as grape tomatoes, green beans and red onions with some grilled salmon. Grilled meats are the perfect way to stick to your low carbohydrate diet.
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad: This salad is really fresh and tasty. It contains always contains fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. It may even contain cucumbers, red onions and kalamata olives. It is generally topped with a white balsamic vinaigrette.
- Chicken Caprese: Very similar to the grilled chicken caprese salad, the chicken is cooked and then topped with tomatoes, mozzarella and asparagus with a balsamic glaze.
- Chicken Marsala: The chicken is sautéed in a marsala sauce and topped with some mushrooms. It may be served on a very small bed of pasta.
- Chicken Saltimbocca: The chicken is baked and seasoned with sage, and topped with some prosciutto and provolone.
- Shrimp Fra Diavolo: The shrimp is seared in the pan, and then it is topped with garlic, tomatoes and a diavolo sauce. It is generally served on top of some fresh fettuccine noodles.
- Grilled Salmon: You can almost always find a grilled salmon dish on an Italian menu. The salmon is generally grilled and topped with some fresh herbs or possibly a white wine butter sauce. You can also expect a side of fresh vegetables with it as well.
- Salmon Oscar: This is a sautéed crab dish that comes with sautéed vegetables as well, such as asparagus, spinach and tomatoes.
It can be really easy to stick to your low carbohydrate diet when you go out for Italian food. Order a salad with some grilled chicken or salmon, and ask them to hold the croutons. Or order a grilled or baked chicken or seafood dish with some fresh veggies on the side. (For more information, contact Gabriel’s Restaurant Bar & Grill)